Wednesday, September 25, 2013

GLUTEN FREE Zucchini and Hemp Bread

This. Is. Incredible. 

Somewhere between the crispy, sweet crust, and the tender crumbles inside, lies perfections. I love this stuff and I can't get enough. This bread is sweet, savory, crispy, chewy, crunchy, all at once. It's heaven. 




Alright, lets talk about gluten. I am all about accommodating to everyone's dietary needs, and I know for a fact some of my followers can't eat gluten. I hope to make recipes that celiacs and gluten lovers can enjoy equally! But let's get some things straight first, for the people who don't eat gluten because it's a fad, you should know your stuff. Read labels, research, and eat healthy gluten free things. If you're just buying food from the store that says "gluten free!" then chances are you are consuming more calories and sugars than if you were to eat food that contains gluten. Celiacs can have trouble keeping weight on, so a lot of "gluten free" foods are filled with sugars and fillers to help them gain some weight. So it is slightly contradictory if you're doing it to lose weight, UNLESS you're doing it the right way. Choose flours that have nutritional value, hemp protein, almond flour, quinoa flour, ect. These won't contain gluten and will contain more protein than whole wheat or all purpose flour. Eat the right kind of gluten free grains like brown rice, amaranth, quinoa, ect. These will be the key to success in eating a healthier, gluten free diet. 

For the most part, I don't eat a lot of gluten, and mostly by accident. I don't avoid gluten because my body can tolerate it, and lets face it, I'm OBSESSED with crusty bread. But a lot of what I eat is naturally gluten free such as the grains and flours I mentioned above. The only bread I ever keep in my house is Ezekiel bread, simply because I can keep it in my freezer and it won't go bad before I finish the loaf and that bread is from sprouted grains and contains no gluten either. So to all my fellow celiacs and gluten avoiders, I am here for you and I will try my best to make anything and everything gluten free so you can enjoy it! Comment, message, text, or call me if you have any requests for recipes and I will work hard to write and blog them for you.


Alright now back to this bread...

Ingredients:
1 cup zucchini, grated and squeezed to get rid of excess water
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1/4 cup hemp protein powder
1/2 cup almond flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp chia/flax seeds, milled
1 1/2 tsp boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons agave nectar in the raw
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:

In a small bowl combine flour, hemp, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
In another small bowl, combine chia/flax seeds with boiling water to make a paste. (this is a substitution for the xantham gum that most gluten free breads call for.)
In a medium sized bowl, combine applesauce, sugar, agave, eggs, vanilla, and chia/flax paste. Combine until well mixed.
Slowly start to incorporate the dry into the wet until combined.
Fold in the zucchini and nuts, reserving some for the top.
Bake at 350 for about 40-50  minutes or until a toothpick insterted into the center comes out clean.

ENJOY!


Post a Comment