Monday, September 30, 2013

Curry Butternut Squash Soup (vegan) (gluten free)

Hey guys, guess what? ITS FALL! The second best season of the year. You know what this means? Winter squash season and an abundance of pumpkin flavored food and beverages. I can barely contain my excitement about this because I'm slightly obsessed with cooking and baking with pumpkins and other squashes.



Let's also get a few things straight, I usually make this with a pumpkin, however, I got a little to excited and when I went searching for baking pumpkins, I was a week early. I settled with butternut squash, which is absolutely delicious, and somewhat more appetizing to the less daring foodies out there. In fact, when I told both of my parents that I was going to make this soup next, they suggested squash instead because they were nervous about the whole "pumpkin soup" thing. WHATEVER. You can use what you like. I think the pumpkin soup has a sweeter flavor and to me it hits the spot more than butternut squash, because I have a distinct connection with this soup. Either one is fabulous, feel free to try both and compare.

Let's talk the history of this soup. When I was 16, I was working at a retirement home in Lincoln, NE. I worked as a server and we brought meals to the residents every night in our grand dining room. Every Monday and Wednesday was soup day, and let me tell you what, the residents loooovvvveeed soup. I haven't always had the same love affair. Growing up my mom served us Campbell's soup at least three times a week, and it ruined me. I do not eat brothy soups and it really takes a great soup to get me to eat a bowl. Well one day at work, Randy, our bear of a line cook, made a Pumpkin Curry Soup. I gagged at the thought of a perfectly beautiful pumpkin being chopped and pureed into a soup. I thought "That is disgusting! No one is going to eat that!" I made a scene. Then he goes, "Taste it, Katie." FINE. I did, and I had no words. I had fallen in love with a single bowl of soup. This would change my opinion of soup forever. And to be quite honest, it was probably the only soup I ever ate throughout my two years of working at that retirement home. I'm telling you, this was killer soup. Since then, I spend every fall trying to perfect this soup and make it the way that it tasted the first time I tried it. This soup that I made this year, was pretty darn close, despite the fact that I used a squash instead of a pumpkin. So I understand if you shiver at the thought of a pumpkin soup, but I'm telling you it's worth it, give it a try!!


Ingredients:
2 medium sized butternut squash
1/2 large white onion, diced
3 ribs of celery, diced
3 carrots, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 T coconut oil
1/2 cup orange juice (optional, can use wine, stock, or water to degalze)
1 box vegetable stock
2 tsp salt
black pepper to taste
1 T garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne (more if you like it spicy)
Pinch of cinnamon
1 can coconut milk, unsweetened

Directions:
Turn your oven to 425 degrees. Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise, coat with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast until fork tender, about 45 minutes or so. Keep an eye on them and if they start to brown too much before they are getting done, *carefully* pour a little bit of water onto the pan. This will help steam them and keep the flesh from burning.

In a dutch oven or medium to large sauce pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery, and carrots. Saute until soft, when almost done, add garlic and saute until you can start to smell it. Immediately de-glaze the pan with orange juice or your liquid of choice. Add vegetable stock and turn to low-medium heat.

When the butternut squash is done, remove it and let it cool until you can handle it. Peel the squash and add it to the soup. Let this simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Add spices and adjust salt and pepper, if necessary.

Carefully, remove the soup from heat and put about half of the soup in a blender. Start on low, and be careful because you are pureeing very hot soup, puree until smooth, about 3 minutes. Transfer this to a bowl, and puree the other half. Wipe out your soup pot of any remaining chunks, and return soup to pot. Over very low heat, add the entire can of coconut milk and serve. You can garnish this with some toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped cilantro, or chives. ENJOY!

Post a Comment